Guest Artist 2018
Candice Smith Corby is the 2018 Guest Artist at Fruitlands Museum. She created seventeen new paintings for the exhibition Inhabiting Folk Portraits, on view in our Art Gallery through March 2019. Smith Corby will continue to create paintings in response to objects in Fruitland’s permanent collection through December 2018, and her paintings will appear in our historic houses, the museum shop, and even on our trails.
Smith Corby received a BFA in painting from Tyler School of Art and a MFA in painting from MassArt, Boston. In 2014, she was a Massachusetts Cultural Council Finalist and in 2008, a Fellow in Painting. Her other honors include receiving a Dave Bown Project Grant in 2011 and a Berkshire Taconic Artist Resource Fund grant in 2013. Smith Corby is the Gallery Director and Assistant Professor in the Visual and Performing Arts Department at Stonehill College in Easton, MA.
Fruitlands Museum’s Guest Artist Program
Guest Artist appointments at Fruitlands Museum are invitational. Working directly with the Curator of Fruitlands Museum, artists work on a project that furthers both their own personal practice and understanding of the permanent collection of the museum, which focuses on nineteenth-century American art and culture.
From 2010 to 2016, Fruitlands Museum worked with contemporary artists through an Artist in Residence program with parameters that have since changed.
Past Guest Artists
- Greg Lookerse, 2017
- Carolyn Wirth, 2016
- 80 Dusty Fingers, Artist group: Linee Baird, Cynthia Crimmin, Joelle Feldman, Dave Kaphammer, Lisa Shattuck-Regopoulos, Arlene G. Richman, Jeanne Rosier Smith, Gary Ozias,Pastels, 2015
- Richard Kattman, Abstract Paintings, 2014
- Jodi Colella, Mixed Media, 2013
- Andy Moerlein, Sculpture, 2012
- Jill Pottle, Acrylic/Oil Paintings, 2011
- Barry Van Dusen, Watercolor Paintings, 2010
- Zsuzsanna Szegedi, Oil Paintings, 2009
- Joe Wheelwright, Tree Sculptures, 2007-2008
- Susan Richmond, poetry, 2006